Thursday, August 26, 2010

windsor blue, linen, and frosty green

Photobucket
afghans made in the past two years


I've started a new afghan.

Yippee!!

It's for one of my dear friends. She got married in June, and at the time that I heard about her upcoming wedding, I was up to my ears in orders for the etsy shop, and didn't have time to finish an afghan for the big day. So, I e-mailed her, asked her to tell me her favorite afghan colors, and promised to make her one soon. On Monday I bought the yarn (sage, denim blue and tan), and on Tuesday I started the afghan. I'd like to post pictures here, but the friend in question bops over here from time to time, and while I don't care about letting her know that I've actually started the afghan that I promised so long ago, I would just as soon wait for her to actually see it until it's done in all its beautiful yarn-ey glory. (that last sentence might be a record for most words between periods.)

I used to make afghans all the time. I would finish one, and almost immediately start another. I generally had at least one afghan made and in the closet, waiting for one of my close friends or relatives to get married, and if that took long enough that I got two or three there, I'd donate one or more to LDS Humanitarian aid, or some charity auction or something. I rarely made the same pattern twice, just because I like variety, and I love watching something new come out of my fingers. If I did the same pattern over and over again, I think I would get bored silly.

Then I started into this etsy phase (Is it a phase though? Or is is a new component of life? I guess only time will tell). I perfected my beanie-making skills, and learned how to make fingerless gloves, and cowls, and newsboy caps, and headbands, and slippers, and I'm hoping to start on bags/purses soon. It's been great fun and a great adventure (if you can call crocheting an adventure, which really, I don't think you can). From time to time though, I miss my days of afghan-ing. Afghans don't sell all that well on etsy (at least, not for me), and they are waaaaay more expensive to ship than hats and gloves. So, I don't make them as much anymore.

But they're still my absolute favorite.

Luckily, I still have lots and lots of yet-to-be married friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment