Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Extra! Extra! Read all About it!

(This is a post about newsboy caps--hence the title.)
(Get it?  Extra! Extra! about newsboy caps?  Hilarious, right?)
(Okay, okay, let's just get on to the post.)

It's been a little while since I've posted over here, huh?  Yeah.  I have a few explanations for that, but the primary one is that I just finished hosting the third annual Midwinter Musical Madness competition over at my other blog.  It's always a great time, and is a big help in getting me through those February and Early-March blues that I tend to get when spring doesn't come around quite as quickly as I want it to.

But, as long as I'm typing here and now, I thought I'd do a Work-in-Progress Wednesday post, my first ever.

Right now, when it comes to crocheting, I'm working on newsboy caps.  I got word that my friend Lee had actually had one of her caps disappear (she lives in a residential care facility), and that she could use another one.  So, I made her up another one, and I figured as long as I had the pattern in my fingers, I might as well make up a few more, while I was at it. I got out some cotton yarn that I had reclaimed from some sweaters last year, and went to it.  I've been toying with some different ideas for adding elastic around the brim to make them a little more versatile, and I'm still looking for a solution that hits the right balance between aesthetics, practicality, and time/expense.  Overall though, I'm quite pleased with how they're turning out.

salu 3-11

salu 3-11

Photobucket


As luck would have it, while I was in the process of making up these brown hats, I received a custom order for a red one in a larger size.  So, I made one of those up as well.  I haven't decided whether or not I will make more like this to sell in the shop.  Right now I'm leaning toward "yes", but only time will tell. 

salu 3-11


I'm linking to: Tamis Amis and other Crochet, and Everyday Crochet

5 comments:

  1. Your hats are wonderful! I love the openness of the red one as well as the happy color of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to WIPW! Thanks for joining us.

    The hats look amazing! I started on a newsboy hat while ago and never got around to finishing it because it was coming out too small and I was totally frustrated. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great. I'm with Marushka, the red one is super duper cool. Nice work! And, welcome to WIPW!

    ReplyDelete