Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Slippers Update

So, remember how I was going to try my hand at slippers?

salu 11-10

I'm pleased with how they've turned out.  I don't have them all listed yet, but those that I have listed have been quite popular.

A few things I learned along the way:

-Upcycled yarn didn't work as well for these as the brand new stuff.  See those black slippers?  They were made from some yarn that I upcycled from a thrifted cotton sweater.  The yarn ended up being a little more difficult to work with than the regular cotton yarn that I purchased to make the rest of the slippers.

-Having a few possible buttonholes on the attachment strap is easy, and a good idea.   The pattern called for just one buttonhole (which was made by doing sc ch sc instead of sc sc sc), but after a few tries, I found that making three buttonholes was just as easy, and made the slippers more adjustable.  Kind of like how sandals and belts have a few possible holes, you know?

And finally, (and most importantly for me)

-I am capable of making two slippers that are exactly (or close enough to exactly) the same size.   Hooray!  Charlotte scales another mountain and conquers another weakness!  Yippee!!

And just for fun, here are few links to free slipper patterns on the web:


This one isn't free, but it's only $4, and it's the pattern I used for the slippers purchased here, and I think it's worth it.  The woman who wrote and sells the pattern is from New Zealand, and I she used a few terms that weren't all that familiar to me, but I was able to figure it all out without too much trouble.

This monster eyes slipper pattern looks delightful!  I can think of a few people for whom a pair of these would make a hilarious and most appreciated gift.

I'm personally not a huge fan of this particular picture, but if you made these Pilgrim slippers (on the left) in browns and tans, they might be just the thing for hanging out and watching the Thanksgiving Day football games.


This pattern for Cosy Crocheted Slippers (on the right) comes to us courtesy of Canadian Living.  And really, who would know better about needing something nice and warm on your toes than those Canadians?   



And there you have it!  The extensive slipper update.  Good luck with your slipper adventures, and if you have any luck (or any catastrophes that you want to commiserate over), please feel free to post about them here.


2 comments: